Comprehensive Jatropha Report
The most comprehensive and definitive guide on jatropha and the global jatropha biofuel industry
Jatropha holds the promise of becoming a sustainable feedstock for biodiesel, resulting in significant business opportunities. This comprehensive report will be an indispensable guide for you to understand this important industry and take the first steps in benefitting from the opportunities.
Why Should You Know about Jatropha Biodiesel?
- You will be exploring an alternative to one of our most precious commodities: oil
- You will be learning more on a feedstock that has the potential to revolutionize the world of energy
- You will have an early mover advantage as the industry is just about to take off
Jatropha, a second-generation biofuel feedstock, presents one of the most exciting possibilities as a future solution to our energy problems, especially that of transportation fuel. In the last few years, activity in this field has been accelerating fast.Why is Jatropha so exciting from a renewable energy standpoint?
- Unlike the first generation biodiesel and biofuel crops such as soy or corn, Jatropha is a non-food crop and can grow in non-agricultural and marginal lands not suitable for food crops.
- Jatropha can use wastewater for its growth
- Fertilizer and pesticide requirements, and crop management costs, are relatively lower for Jatropha than for many other energy crops
- Jatropha is a perennial; hence it needs to be planted just once and it yields oil for over 30 years
Deriving fuel from Jatropha thus presents an exciting opportunity for many entrepreneurs, companies and businesses worldwide.
The BioZio team would like to talk to you to understand how we can help you in your Jatropha efforts. If you are interested in purchasing the report or getting our help, talk to
Email : [email protected]
Mobile : +91-8489663663 (India)
Last Updated: Feb 2011
# of pages: 220
|Year||Total Projected Supply of Jatropha (MMT)||Total Biodiesel Production (MMT)||% of Biodiesel Supplied by Jatropha|
The pay-offs are big, and so are the challenges. Companies those are able to make an early start in this field stand a chance of reaping significant benefits in future.
While many around the world have heard about the Jatropha biodiesel possibilities and would like to know more, few resources are available that provide in-depth details of the Jatropha industry, its potential, the status of various companies in this industry, and what the future is likely to hold for this industry.
Based on our interactions with hundreds of entrepreneurs, investors and businesses who have been exploring this domain last few years, we realized the need for a resource that provides structured data, insights and opinion that answers the key questions in their minds.
The following are the key questions those exploring Jatropha biodiesel are asking themselves
- Should I explore Jatropha biodiesel as a business opportunity?
- Do I have the skills and resources required for an entrepreneur or business to benefit from this opportunity?
- Do I know enough about the main risks and bottlenecks present in this domain?
- Do I know enough about the future trends to evaluate this opportunity against other energy-related opportunities?
- What can I learn from the performance of existing companies in the Jatropha biofuels domain?
To assist all those exploring this exciting domain, the Jatropha Division of BioZio.com, has come out with a comprehensive report. BioZio.com is the premier resource for biofuels.
An insightful Comprehensive Jatropha Report provides precise inputs for the following questions
- What is the current and future potential for deriving biofuels from Jatropha?
- Is Jatropha the best choice for those investing in biofuels?
- What are the various fuel possibilities from Jatropha?
- What is the real-world status of Jatropha biodiesel efforts?
- Which are the prominent companies in this field and what are the efforts currently undertaken by them?
- What types of industries and companies will benefit most by investing in this field?
- What is the quantum of investment required in this field?
- What are the expected returns for those investing in Jatropha biodiesel?
- What is the key success factors required to succeed in this exciting business opportunity?
- What are the key trends and challenges in Jatropha crop cultivation?
- What is the scenario of the Jatropha industry in India & Africa?
- What types of venture capital investments and other financing are happening in this industry?
- What are the real bottlenecks / problems that could hamper the growth of this industry?
- What are predictions for the future with regard to challenges, possibilities and breakthroughs?
- What are the next steps an entrepreneur should take should she/he be interested in exploring further?
Why should you buy this report?
- It helps you understand all aspects of the Jatropha crop with a special emphasis on biofuels, and provides you key insights which will be invaluable in planning your venture
- It answers the most important questions that entrepreneurs, investors and businesses have regarding Jatropha biodiesel
- It has a special emphasis on providing real-life case studies, data and inputs. These will be useful for those interested in investing or starting a business in this field
- Comprises intelligence and inputs derived from many seminars and expert presentations and provides insights from industry professionals worldwide
- It can assist you to quickly take the next steps in this opportunity
- It has been developed with inputs from authoritative sources
- It has been developed by BioZio.com, the leading resource for the biofuels industry
The goal of the Comprehensive Jatropha Report is to present an objective status report on the Jatropha biofuels industry. Written by professionals who have been observing the industry since its inception and interact continuously with all the key industry players, the Comprehensive Jatropha Report will assist you to clearly distinguish hype from reality.
The price of the Comprehensive Jatropha Report is US$ 350.
To download a copy of the preview to your machine , click here
Let me help you
The BioZio team would like to talk to you to understand how we can help you in your Jatropha efforts. If you are interested in purchasing the report or getting our help, talk to us now.
Email: [email protected]
Mobile: +91-8489663663 (India)
List of Contents
Chapter 1: Introduction
1.2 Economic Importance of Different Plant-Parts of Jatropha
1.3 Jatropha in the Limelight
1.4 Highlights of the Jatropha Plant
1.5 Problems with Jatropha
1.6 Jatropha Q & A
Chapter 2: Jatropha Cultivation
2.2 Jatropha Crop Cultivation
2.3 Jatropha Soil, Water & Climatic Requirements
2.5 Jatropha Yield
2.5.1 Average Yield Estimates for Jatropha Curcas
2.5.2 Yield and Economic projections
2.5.3 Some Real Life Yield Data for Jatropha Seeds
2.5.4 Factors Causing Yield Variation for Jatropha Seeds, Oil from Seed
2.6 Jatropha Cultivation Factoids
2.7 Jatropha Cultivation Q & A
2.8 Jatropha Cultivation - Reference
Chapter 3: Jatropha Seeds
3.2 Jatropha Seed Toxicity
3.2.1 Effects of Seed Toxicity
3.3 Jatropha Seeds Prices & Trends
3.4 Jatropha Seeds Packaging & Storing
3.5 Jatropha Seeds - Other Factoids
Chapter 4: Jatropha Oil Production
4.2 Key Manufacturing Processes for Jatropha Oil & Derivatives
4.2.1 Jatropha Oil Extraction
4.2.2 Jatropha Oil Production - Overall Concept
4.3 Jatropha Oil Manufacturing Processes - Summary
4.3.1 Jatropha Oil Extraction - Summary
4.3.2 Jatropha Oil Filtration & Purification - Summary
4.3.3 Jatropha Oil Refining - Summary
4.4 Jatropha Oil Manufacturing Processes - Details
4.4.1 Jatropha Oil Extraction - Details
126.96.36.199 Oil Extraction
4.4.2 Jatropha Oil Filtration - Details
4.4.3 Jatropha Oil Refining - Details
188.8.131.52 Bleaching & Deodourizing
184.108.40.206 Typical Sections & Sub-sections of Jatropha Oil Refinery Plants
4.5 Conversion of Jatropha Oil into Biodiesel
Chapter 5: Jatropha Meal
5.2 Jatropha Meal Compositions
5.3 Toxicity in Jatropha Meal
5.3.1 Detoxification of Jatropha Meal
5.4 Jatropha Meal Prices
5.5 Jatropha Meal Uses
Chapter 6: Jatropha Oil Properties and Uses
6.2 Properties & Chemical Composition of Jatropha Oil
6.2.1 Physical and Chemical Properties of Jatropha Oil
6.2.2 Other Constituent of Jatropha Oil and its Uses
6.3 Jatropha Oil Biodiesel
6.3.1 Can Jatropha Oil be an Efficient Biodiesel?
6.3.2 Major Problems Faced by Jatropha Biodiesel Users
6.4 Other Uses of Jatropha & Jatropha Oil
6.4.1 Other Possible Uses of the Jatropha Plant
6.4.2 Renewable Energy Technologies Suitable for Jatropha Materials
Chapter 7: Jatropha Oil Market
7.2 The Jatropha Oil Market Data
7.3 Supply & Demand of Jatropha Oil
7.3.1 Global Biodiesel Production and Capacity
7.3.2 Supply/ Demand Forecast: Biodiesel
7.3.3 Supply Potential of Jatropha Oil
7.4 Global View on Jatropha Industry
7.4.1 Global Yield Map
7.4.2 Global Commercial Projects of Jatropha
7.4.3 Development of Jatropha Schemes by 2013
7.5 Jatropha Market Trends - Summary
Chapter 8: Costs
8.1 Oil Extraction
8.1.1 Costs for Expeller press & Solvent extraction
8.1.2 Extraction Cost Components
8.2 Costs for Conversion to Fuel
8.2.1 Cost for Transesterification for Biodiesel
8.2.2 Starch Ethanol
8.2.3 Cellulosic Ethanol
8.2.4 Anaerobic Digestion
8.2.5 Thermochemical Processes
8.2.6 Cost Components for Conversion to Biofuel
8.3 Costs - Reference
8.4 Indicative Costs for Setting up Medium Scale Jatropha Oil Manufacturing Plants
Chapter 9: Jatropha Oil Prices
9.2 Current Price Data for Jatropha Oil
9.3 Factors that affect Price of Jatropha Oil
9.4 Future of Jatropha Oil Market
Chapter 10: Jatropha Companies
10.2 Companies Venturing into Jatropha
10.2.1 Major Jatropha Companies
10.2.2 Minor Jatropha Companies
Chapter 11: Jatropha Oil in Various Countries
11.2 Jatropha Oil in
11.3 Jatropha Oil in
11.4 Jatropha Oil in
11.5 Jatropha Oil in
11.6 Jatropha Oil in
11.7 Summary for Jatropha in Various Countries
Chapter 12: Jatropha Oil in India
12.2 Indian Jatropha Oil Industry
Locations of Jatropha Plantation in
12.3 Jatropha Plantation
12.3.1 Jatropha Plantation Cost
12.3.3 Indian Jatropha Plantation Factoids
12.4 Jatropha Projects in
12.5 Jatropha Companies in
Suppliers and Manufacturers of Machineries for Jatropha in
12.6 - Jatropha Investment in
12.7 Jatropha Case Studies & Reality
Chapter 13: Jatropha Research & Future Trends
13.1 Jatropha Research
13.1.1 Genetic Engineering in Jatropha
13.1.2 Jatropha Hybrids
13.2 Abstracts of Various Research Done
13.3 Jatropha Research Activities around the World
13.4 List of Institutions and their Main Subjects of Jatropha Research
Chapter 14: Biofuel Associations Worldwide
Chapter 15: Useful Web Sites and Web Resources
The price of the Comprehensive Jatropha Report is US$ 350.
Drop in your details to get free white papers and regular updates on the report
To download a copy of the preview to your machine , click here
Key take-aways from the report:
- Jatropha has good drought resistance characteristics, and can grow on exhausted and sandy soils, except clay soil and water logged area.
- A hybrid variety of jatropha could give three harvests a year, compared to two harvests by other varieties of jatropha.
- Since 2005, worldwide investment in jatropha research & cultivation has accelerated tremendously, and by 2008, organized jatropha cultivations have been reported in over 25 countries.
- Jatropha seeds can produce around 35% oil content. On a per acre basis, jatropha’s yield is second highest, next to that of the palm oil.
- Studies have revealed that adequate seed selection based on fruit color, size and seed sources improve the quality and yield.
- The three main methods of jatropha cultivation are nursery raising, direct seeding in the main field and vegetative propagation. The best and recommended method for jatropha cultivation is nursery raising.
- One of the most common misconceptions about jatropha is that the plant could start bearing a high quantity of seeds in the first year itself. This is untrue.
- Optimal use of water is the most important criteria for growing jatropha. Minimum rainfall required to produce fruits: 600 mm/ha/y.
- The seed yield of jatropha will vary under different agro-climatic conditions and planting density.
- The average seed yield per hectare from the fifth year for jatropha from irrigated land is about 5 tons.
- Cultivation cost of jatropha is estimated to be in the range of US$ 994 / year per hectare, including seed or sapling cost, land preparation and sowing. This cost however varies based on the regions.
- Total cost for extracting and refining jatropha oil through expeller press process is US$ 0.37 per gallon and US $0.5 through solvent extraction process.
- Based on the data from various surveys, we find that average seed prices have ranged between $0.05-0.25 in Africa, $0.2 to $0.4 in Latin America, and $0.2 to $0.4 in Asia.
- The overall jatropha oil manufacturing process is: Sowing -> Cultivation -> Harvest -> Seed Dehulling & Cleaning -> Oil Extraction -> Oil Filtration & Purification -> Oil Refining.
- Jatropha meal is the extract left behind, after the extraction of oil from jatropha seeds. It currently finds a market as an organic fertilizer and for producing biogas, among others.
- The toxins in the jatropha meal can be denatured or inactivated by heat and the detoxified jatropha meal can be used as animal feed.
- The efficiency and profitability of the jatropha biofuel industry increases with the commercial usage of by-products like jatropha cakes and glycerol generated during the process of oil extraction.
- In addition to its emerging use as a biofuel, jatropha oil could be a good source of industrial enzymes, biopolymers and biopharmaceuticals.
- Similar to other biomass, different parts of the jatropha plant (and not just its seeds) can be used to produce a wide range of fuels, using a range of processes – chemical, thermo chemical and biochemical processes.
- As governments around the world are mandating the use of biodiesel the demand for jatropha oil has been increasing exponentially.
- The total investment in jatropha could total close to about US$ 10 billion by 2012.
- By 2025, the global supply potential of Jatropha is estimated to be around 15 billion gallons.
- SunBiofuels, GEM BioFuels and Jatoil have claimed that they are expecting jatropha oil production in the later years of 2010
- By end of 2008, there were over 225 companies that had made significant investments in this industry, with many more companies with much smaller levels of investments.
- Recent studies show a potential of approximately 30 million hectares of land on which jatropha could be grown worldwide, especially in South America, Africa and in Asian countries such as China, India or Indonesia.
- A likely scenario is that for the short term (until 2012), jatropha could be one of many biodiesel feedstock that could take care of the requirements of some sections of biodiesel producers in select countries around the world. In the medium and long term, jatropha has the potential to be a major contributor to world biodiesel consumption, once the companies have been able to go up the learning curve and the industry starts getting the benefits of economies of scale.
|Last Updated: Feb 2011
No of pages: 213
Price: US$ 500
The Comprehensive Cellulosic Ethanol Report was prepared precisely to cater to this need for a clear, balanced and comprehensive guide about this important emerging business opportunity.
Biozio.com is a premier resource for information and support on a wide variety of plant-based products, including biofuels. The Biozio.com team undertakes continuous and in-depth industry and market research on over 50 plant-based feedstock for fuels and chemicals. Due to its dedicated focus on the bio-products (including biofuels) industry, Biozio.com is considered to be an authoritative information resource for the biofuels industry.